Re: codecs and totem

On Wed, 21 May 2008 12:25:12 +0200
"Giacomo A. Catenazzi" <cate@cateee.net> wrote:

> Alexander Rozhkov wrote:
> > Good day.
> > I have a question: if I use totem or vlc (both provided by
> > debian) to watch commercially distributed DVD discs, do
> > I have to pay royalty for using codecs?

Not unless you're using a codec you got outside debian.  Debian can
play non-CSS DVD's without adding anything outside main, in which case
you are using entirely free software and have no royalties to pay (for
the watching of the CD using Debian at any rate; if you are selling
tickets to watch DVDs that an entirely different issue and not really
Debian related :-)

If you are using libdvdcss2 from the videolan website, or from
debian-multimedia then the you still don't have to pay royalties, as it
is free software but not distributed in Debian because of legal issues
with doing so within the US (and I believe the EU as well).  In Canada,
at present it's allowed to distribute this software AFAIK but there are
moves underway to make distribution illegal, but usage for non-pirating
would be legal.  At least that was the last I heard.  Stupid stuff with
CSS laws.

Regards,

Daniel

--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore