Re: Questions about liblouis

[removed a lot of Ccs]

Hi!

You wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 02:29:05PM -0800, Eitan Isaacson wrote:
> > 3. The translation tables that are read at run-time are considered
> > part of this code and are under the terms of the GPL. Any changes to
> > these tables and any additional tables that are created for use by
> > this code must be made publicly available.
>
> This fails the "desert island test", and so the package is non-free.

That depends on what is meant by "publically available", I guess.
I assume that that author is trying to enforce the terms of the
GPL on the translation labels, which of course would be fine for Debian.
However, if he really means "modified translation tables should be
published on the web" or something like that, that of course fails the
desert island test.

Eitan, if you could get upstream to just licence the translation tables
under a GPL copyleft license (if that is indeed their intention), they
can drop the extra restriction and the package should (afaics) be
suitable for main.

--
Kind regards,
Bas Zoetekouw.