Re: Copyright question

"brian m. carlson" <sandals@crustytoothpaste.ath.cx> writes:

> [Please follow up to -legal only.

Done.

> On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 04:30:01PM +0100, Jean Parpaillon wrote:
> >Hi,
> >I intend to package HPL benchmarks. Copyright file contains the
> >following statements:
> >----------------------
> > 1. Redistributions  of  source  code  must retain the above copyright
> > notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
> > 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce  the above
> > copyright
> > notice, this list of conditions,  and the following disclaimer in the
> > documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
> >                                                                     3.
> > All  advertising  materials  mentioning  features  or  use of this
> > software must display the following acknowledgement:
> > This  product  includes  software  developed  at  the  University
> > of
> > Tennessee, Knoxville, Innovative Computing Laboratories.
> > 4. The name of the  University,  the name of the  Laboratory,  or
> > the
> > names  of  its  contributors  may  not  be used to endorse or promote
> > products  derived   from   this  software  without  specific  written
> > permission.              --------------------
> >
> >I've read DFSG and I'm not sure if items 3 and 4 are problematic. Can
> >someone help me ? If it's not ok, may it be in contrib ?
>
> This is a standard BSD-with-advertising-clause

No. I see no grant of permissions (e.g. permission to redistribute,
modify, etc.), only a list of requirements.

Is text missing from the license? Please post the full text of the
copyright statement and license terms.

--
 \     "We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. |
  `\      But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back |