Re: Copyright question

[Please follow up to -legal only.  Full quote for the benefit of -legal.]

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 04:30:01PM +0100, Jean Parpaillon wrote:
Hi,
I intend to package HPL benchmarks. Copyright file contains the
following statements:
----------------------
1. Redistributions  of  source  code  must retain the above copyright
notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer. 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
notice, this list of conditions,  and the following disclaimer in the
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software must display the following acknowledgement: This product includes software developed at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Innovative Computing Laboratories. 4. The name of the University, the name of the Laboratory, or the
names  of  its  contributors  may  not  be used to endorse or promote
products  derived   from   this  software  without  specific  written

I've read DFSG and I'm not sure if items 3 and 4 are problematic. Can
someone help me ? If it's not ok, may it be in contrib ?

This is a standard BSD-with-advertising-clause, so yes, this is DFSG-free. Only DFSG-free material may go in main or contrib; material that does not meet the DFSG must go in non-free. Also note that due to the advertising clause (clause 3), this license is not compatible with the GPL.

In future, please post questions about copyright and licenses to -legal, where the regulars are well versed.

+1 713 440 7475 | http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc | My opinion only
troff on top of XML: http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc/code/thwack