Re: About a couple of licenses in Japanese

On Jan 7, 2008 12:44 PM, Ian Lewis <ianmlewis@gmail.com> wrote:
> A literal translation would be "Since this work is copyright free I do not
> mind if you use it freely, commercially or non-commercially. However, If you
> include it in a commercial work, please contact me before hand.".
>
> Interpret that however you will. It is not a legal document. I personally
> would interpret it like the creative commons "free for non-commercial use"
> clause.

It sounds to me more like a polite request rather than a legal
requirement. To put it another way, if you *failed* to contact the
author beforehand, it is difficult to see how he could then claim that
your commercial use of the software violated copyright (since he has
already expressly disclaimed any copyright).

That said, the ideal solution would be to get a clarification from the
author confirming that he only meant this as a request rather than a
legally-enforceable requirement.

John

(TINLA)