Re: LGPL v3 compatibilty

In message <[🔎] 20070714221310.GE25591@dario.dodds.net>, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes
The whole point behind LGPL is that the LGPL library must be
independently distributable, and independently upgradeable. If your
program is GPL (any version), then it is compatible with any LGPL
library (any version).

I think you forgot to preface this with the disclaimers "I am not a lawyer",
"I am not a DD", "I don't speak for the FSF", "I don't even bother to read
the other analyses of GPLv2/LGPLv3 interaction that have been posted to this
list", and "this *is* legal advice that I have no business dispensing to
people on a Debian mailing list".

Given my experience of lawyers, I strongly suspect my "not a lawyer" knowledge of law is quite likely to be better than many of theirs' ... :-)

Yes maybe I should have put disclaimers - I just tend to assume that people on mailing lists are ordinary people like me ...

And I think Gervase has already corrected me :-) Mind you. I think, if you distribute AS SOURCE, GPL code is compatible with pretty much ANYTHING (I can't remember my analysis, but basically it was along the lines of "anything else - even components required for successful compilation - are mere aggregation as far as the source goes :-)

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - anthony@thewolery.demon.co.uk