Re: LGPL v3 compatibilty

On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 10:20:29PM +0100, Anthony W. Youngman wrote:
> In message <[🔎] 20070713150100.GR3558@freenet.de>, Michelle Konzack
> <linux4michelle@freenet.de> writes
> >I have coded some programs which are explicit under GPL v2 since I do
> >not like v3 (I have my reasons) but I am using a LIB which is currently
> >under LGPL v2.

> >Now the new version of this LIB is v3.

> >What should I do?

> DON'T PANIC (as Douglas Adams said).

> If your GPLv2 program links to an LGPLv3 library, then you don't need to
> give a monkeys.

> The whole point behind LGPL is that the LGPL library must be
> independently distributable, and independently upgradeable. If your
> program is GPL (any version), then it is compatible with any LGPL
> library (any version).

I think you forgot to preface this with the disclaimers "I am not a lawyer",
"I am not a DD", "I don't speak for the FSF", "I don't even bother to read
the other analyses of GPLv2/LGPLv3 interaction that have been posted to this
list", and "this *is* legal advice that I have no business dispensing to
people on a Debian mailing list".