Re: Final text of GPL v3

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007, Anthony W. Youngman wrote:
> In message <[🔎] 20070703225218.GH31687@archimedes.ucr.edu>, Don Armstrong
> <don@debian.org> writes
>> On Tue, 03 Jul 2007, Anthony W. Youngman wrote:
>>> Sklyarov did what he did AT HOME IN RUSSIA. It was the company he worked
>>> for that marketed it in America.
>>
>> And Sklyarov who traveled to the US and (at the time) allegedly
>> broke the law in a demonstration while in the US. [The insanity of
>> the anticircumvention clause of the DMCA notwithstanding.]
>
> If he was charged with breaking US law on US soil, fair enough. The
> problem, as I see it, was that he was ...
>
> Charged with breaking US law, as a result of actions he did in
> Russia, in order to comply with Russian law.
>
> THAT is the lunacy (and American megalomania) of the Sklyarov
> debacle.

Except that he wasn't. Reading the complaint and indictment would be a
reasonable first start before complaining about American megalomania.
[Otherwise you're indulging in the American pastime of rushing to
judgement.]

In addition to the demonstration, the server from which the ebook
processer was distributed was located within the US, as was the
payment processing stuff. You can't distribute goods in a country and
remain free from being indicted when those goods violate the laws of a
country, the sanity of the country's laws notwithstanding.

Regardless, we're wildly OT for -legal.

Don Armstrong

--
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I
realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked