Re: Jagged Alliance 2 Source Code

In message <[🔎] 200707041015.24123.devurandom@gmx.net>, Dennis Schridde <devurandom@gmx.net> writes
Trying again anyway, since when I don't get answers from anywhere, I can't
work on it freely, so I won't work on it at all and it perhaps won't ever get
packaged for Debian. Vicious circle...

Is this thing (or any license in general, if that could be more easily
answered) somehow mixable with the GPL? Eg. that I publish my derived work
under the GPL and make an exception for Strategy First to grant them what
they want?

Dual-licence it ...

Think TrollTech and Qt - which is freely available under the GPL, but you can also licence it direct from TT and then do "proprietary" things with it.

I haven't bothered to read the licence, but you could say "my code is dual-licenced under the GPL, and under the Jagged Alliance licence". Then the Jagged Alliance people can do what they want to under the Jagged Alliance licence, and anybody who cares to can separate your code out (or download it from you if you keep it separate) and use it under the GPL.

The only snag is, if the Jagged Alliance and GPL licences are incompatible, the package as a whole would only be distributable under the Jagged Alliance licence, and probably wouldn't qualify for distribution with Debian.

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - anthony@thewolery.demon.co.uk