New Ion3 licence

The author of Ion3 (which I maintain) is proposing to introduce a new
licence[1] which includes the clause:

>   3. Redistributions of this software accessible plainly with a name
>      of this software ("ion", "ion3", etc.), must provide the latest
>      release with a reasonable delay from its release (normally 28 days).
>      Older releases may be distributed, if the full version, or some
>      other explicit indicator, such as the word "ancient", is part of
>      the name that the package is accessed with, or if this identifier
>      is completely unrelated to a name of this software.

He expanded on what "accessible" means:

> If the software can be installed with `$pkgtool install ion3` (resp.
> `$pkgtool install ion`), where `$pkgtool install` stands for the install
> feature of the distribution's package management tool, this should
> always install the latest standard release of Ion3 (resp. in the whole
> Ion project). The action `$pkgtool install ion-3ds-20070318` may,
> however, at any date install this particular marked release. Likewise
> `$pkgtool ion-with-tonnes-of-unsupported-pathces` may install any
> altered version.

While I doubt I would have trouble updating the package within 28 days
of an upstream release, I doubt that Debian would like to commit to
that, and certainly the package would have to remain unreleased.

So I think this would require a package name change.  Any other opinion
on that?

Ben.

[1] http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/ion-general/2007-April/001959.html

--