Re: New Ion3 licence

On 27/04/07, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
The author of Ion3 (which I maintain) is proposing to introduce a new
licence[1] which includes the clause:

>   3. Redistributions of this software accessible plainly with a name
>      of this software ("ion", "ion3", etc.), must provide the latest
>      release with a reasonable delay from its release (normally 28 days).

Doesn't this fail the desert island test (FAQ #9 below) and hence the DFSG?

    http://people.debian.org/~bap/dfsg-faq.html

A lot of developers seem to want to include such clauses about the
"official" software being distributed timely and only from one source,
usually with good intentions, but fail to see the unfavourable
rammifications of their choice. I would recommend to your upstream
source to strongly reconsider including these clauses.

- Jordi G. H.