Re: License missing in the tarball but present on the website

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 12:24:26PM +0200, Gonéri Le Bouder wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The vdrift upstream uploaded a data tarball with some content licensed under
> the Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.5 license.
>
> After discution there are agree to relicense these files under GNU GPL
> but the tarball is quite udge (> 200M) and so I think it should provably
> be easier to publish a notification on the website.

Notes in the README.Debian and any relevant docs directory would help.
A copy of their email would also be useful in there. This sort of thing
would actually be useful in DWN. "$foo data relicensed to GPL"

If the project is relatively fast moving and vdrift is
in etch, it might be a good idea to package it with the tarball updated
to reflect the licence change for etch r1 whenever that occurs and ask
for it to be put into stable-proposed-updates. This would cover all
bases: anyone who had got vdrift from r0 would be made aware: anyone
who installed from r1 onwards would automatically get the changed
licence terms.

Any lenny / sid package would just be packaged with the new licence.

> My question is: in the debian/copyright, is it possible to refere to a
> license that is on a website or in an archived mailing list.

I don't think that's adequate, unfortunately. What if I install from
CD and have no 'Net access?

> Best regards,
>
>        Gonéri

All best,