Re: inappropriate use of Debian Official Use Logo (Re: Hinner EDV: Correct Logo Usage?)

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 11:37:47AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:

> > I agree with Steve that the "Debian Official Use Logo" is used in a way
> > that is not allowed by the license published at
> > http://www.debian.org/logos/ .

> Please can someone explain to me how this use of the official logo
> doesn't satisfy the licence?  It seems to be used to promote sales
> of official CDs which are clearly labelled which parts are official.
> Is the complaint that the logo is positioned in a confusing way (by
> the menu rather than right next to the relevant product descriptions),
> or that the CDs aren't really official CDs, or something else?

When visiting that website, I saw no evidence that it was being used to
promote the official CDs -- I saw only the official logo standing alone on
the page, which to me looked like it's being used to promote the site, not
the official CDs themselves.

If he's selling official CDs (which, as I said, was not at all obvious to
me), then there's no reason to go C&D'ing anyone here, but there's at least
room for improvement in the labelling which I hope he would be amenable to
working with Debian on (given a clear and authoritative statement on
Debian's behalf, that is).