Re: Python Software Foundation trademark policy

On 12/18/06 09:02, MJ Ray wrote:

> If the label is not on the outside of the CD or otherwise used in the
> course of trade by the distributor, how is the trademark infringed by
> the distributor?

That's not how things work in my experience. You are responsible for
everything on the CD. It has nothing to do with how you label it or if
you advertise it as included at all.

> If there is no infringement, why does the distributor need permission?

That python wording is really clear.

Anyway, it looks like they python guys might have fixed/changed their
position so this should be a non-issue now.

"All trademarks are subject to "nominative use rules" that allow use
of the trademark to name the trademarked entity in a way that is
minimal and does not imply a sponsorship relationship with the
trademark holder.

As such, stating accurately that software is written in the Python
programming language, that it is compatible with the Python
programming language, or that it contains the Python programming
language, is always allowed. In those cases, you may use the word
"Python" or the unaltered logos to indicate this, without our prior
approval. This is true both for non-commercial and commercial uses."