Re: Python Software Foundation trademark policy

Jeff Carr <basilarchia@gmail.com>
> On 12/18/06 09:02, MJ Ray wrote:
> > If the label is not on the outside of the CD or otherwise used in the
> > course of trade by the distributor, how is the trademark infringed by
> > the distributor?
>
> That's not how things work in my experience. You are responsible for
> everything on the CD. It has nothing to do with how you label it or if
> you advertise it as included at all.

Maybe you are responsible for it, but how can strings encoded in a
recording on the CD cause any customer confusion by themselves?
If they can't, then how is the trademark infringed?

That's how trademarks work, as far as I can tell.  The US line on hidden
labels seems to be currently under development:
http://blog.ericgoldman.org/archives/2007/01/keyword_ads_and.htm

> Anyway, it looks like they python guys might have fixed/changed their
> position so this should be a non-issue now.
>
> "All trademarks are subject to "nominative use rules" that allow use
> of the trademark to name the trademarked entity in a way that is
> minimal and does not imply a sponsorship relationship with the
> trademark holder. [...]

While it's welcome to see it on their position statement (if only because
maybe people who don't trust me might believe it now), this may not be a
change: I don't see how those non-infringing uses could be stopped,
regardless of the holder's position on it.  Attempts to stop them would
only hurt the trademark holder's friends.

Hope that explains,
--
MJR/slef