Re: Bacula and OpenSSL

On Wednesday 26 September 2007 16:03, MJ Ray wrote:
> Shane Martin Coughlan <coughlan@fsfeurope.org> wrote:
> > Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > > Exception to the GPL:
> > > Linking:
> > > Bacula may be linked and distributed with any libraries permitted=20
> > > under the GPL, or with any non-GPLed libraries, including OpenSSL,
> > > that=
> >
> >  are
> >
> > > required for its proper functioning, providing the license and hence
> > > so=
> >
> > urce=20
> >
> > > code of those non-GPLed libraries comply with the Open Source
> > > Definitio=
> >
> > n as=20
> >
> > > defined by the Open Source Initiative (www.opensource.org).
>
> That seems like a copyleft-busting hole you can drive a truck through.
> I'd strongly suggest using the GNU-wget-style exception cited below.

I'm not really too interested in copyleft.  I was originally going to Bacula
in the public domain, but chose the GPL primarily because I believed at the
time that people who made changes were obligated to give them back to the
project.  As it turns out this is not at all the case, apparently only the
people to whom you directly give the code have the right to the source code
changes.

Regards,

Kern