Re: GFDL and cover texts

On 07/08/07, Joe Smith <unknown_kev_cat@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso" <jordigh@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >But we can't modify the COPYING file in a source tarball, and that's
> >ok. Why isn't a cover text like "a GNU manual" also acceptable?
> >

> It really is not as much the non-modifiable nature of cover texts, as the
> fact that they are mandatory to include.

Wow. Thanks. Actually, this does make sense. Excerpts from GFDLed docs
without the cover texts are ok and probably covered under Fair Use
under US copyright law, but I think that in other jurisdictions they
aren't.

Come to think of it, it's strange that the GFDL doesn't have clauses
explicitly allowing small excerpts...

- Jordi G. H.