Re: Copyright verification needed

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 00:34:33 +0200 Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Le mardi 26 juin 2007 à 00:48 +0200, Francesco Poli a écrit :
> > On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 00:06:58 +0200 Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > > This is a bit more complicated. The QPL is DFSG-free, but only if
> > > you don't apply section #6
> >
> > This is equivalent to saying that software solely released under the
> > QPL does *not* comply with the DFSG.
>
> No. Section #6 only applies to components "that link with the original
> or modified versions of the Software". It doesn't apply to derived
> works.

I am afraid I am not following you.

Section 6c of the QPL v1.0 restricts your ability to privately
distribute components "that link with the original or modified versions
of the Software".

You cannot opt out from this restriction, unless you refrain from
developing such components.
The DFSG require that you are able to develop such components, and the
restriction is non-free.

I cannot see how you can say that "the QPL is DFSG-free [...] if you
don't apply section #6".
How can you escape from the restrictions set forth in section #6?

> > When discussing whether a license meets the DFSG, "patched" versions
> > of the license cannot help the "unpatched" original license to meet
> > the DFSG...
>
> I'm not talking about a hypothetical "patched" license, and you should
> consider reading what people write before replying on a mailing list.

I did read what you wrote, but I apparently misunderstood it.
Sorry about that: in the above, I'm asking you to clarify what you
meant...

> > And anyway, you there's not only clause 6c: another issue that makes
> > the QPL fail to meet the DFSG is the choice of venue.
>
> There is no choice of venue, only choice of law.

AFAICS, we are talking about the QPL v1.0 as adopted by Trolltech AS for
the Qt library.  Is that right?

If this is the case, the license states[1]:

| This license is governed by the Laws of Norway. Disputes shall be
| settled by Oslo City Court.

This is a choice of law *and* a choice of venue.

[1] http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/q/qt-x11-free/current/copyright

P.S.: I think we should drop Bruno from the Cc: list, as he stated he's
not interested in the ITP anymore.  Bruno, if you are still interested
in this discussion, please speak up and ask to be Cc:ed in the next
messages...

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/nanodocs/testing_workstation_install.html
 Need to read a Debian testing installation walk-through?