Re: legal question to a new package

Le vendredi 08 juin 2007 à 20:50 +0200, Christian Pinedo Zamalloa a
écrit :
> 1. Should I include *all* the authors listed in copyrights statements of
> all files of chessdb in debian/copyright? The main contributor are Shane
> (scid) and Krikby (chessdb) but other minor contributors are listed
> through all the source files of the program. The upstreamer's copyright
> file only lists Shane and Krikby and says that are other contributors
> and to kown them we should see the source files.

I don't think you need to list all contributors; imagine if we did this
for the kernel :)

> 2. The chessdb includes a original file from scid (ratings.ssp) that has
> the following copyright:
> # This file is ONLY for use in the Scid chess database program.
> # For any other use, please contact the author first for permission.
> # Updates and improvements are welcome, please send them to the author.
> Could I include this file in the package chessdb-data that belongs to
> main section? Is this free software? Is it legal that chessdb includes
> it?

This is utterly non-free.

> 3. There is another file named init.tcl with the following copyright:
> # Copyright (c) 1991-1993 The Regents of the University of California.
> # Copyright (c) 1994-1996 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
> # Copyright (c) 1998-1999 Scriptics Corporation.
> #
> # See the file "license.terms" for information on usage and
> # redistribution
> # of this file, and for a DISCLAIMER OF ALL WARRANTIES.
> But there is now license.terms file.

Looks like init.tcl from the tcl8.3 distribution. This is BSD-licensed,
but you still have to reproduce the license contents in
debian/copyright.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.