Re: Logo trademark license vs. copyright license

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 22:41:49 +0200 Arnoud Engelfriet wrote:

> Francesco Poli wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 09:57:33 +0200 Arnoud Engelfriet wrote:
> > > I thought you used Y and Z for cases where Y is licensing Z's
> > > trademark (if Y is Z's subsidiary or authorized licensee for
> > > example). Then the trademark holder is Z but Y has certain rights
> > > to the mark.
> >
> > Err, if I read the original message by Nathanael correctly, [Z] is
> > intended to be the "meaning" of the trademark.
>
> Why would you do that?

Because there can be more than one logo with different meanings.
As you know, the Debian Project has currently two logos[1]:

 * the Open Use Logo, which should represent the Debian Project and
   Debian distributions, without implying endorsement;

 * the Official Use Logo, which should represent endorsement by the
   Debian Project;

What we are currently doing is trying hard to clarify these things while
making these logos comply with the DFSG.
The main purpose of the trademark license we are trying to draft is
granting enough trademark permissions to make the logos DFSG-free (once
they will also be licensed under the Expat, as far as copyright is
concerned).
However, we need to keep a distinction between the two logos: one
implies endorsement, while the other does not.

I thought this was clear... but maybe it wasn't, or otherwise I don't
understand your objection.

[1] http://www.debian.org/logos/

> That can only be used against you.

How so?

> I also don't see a need to indicate a field for the mark when you
> license people to do anything with the mark. So maybe you should
> just omit the entire Z thing.

Well, not really *anything*.  I thought we were fine-tuning the
trademark license, just to carefully define what is allowed and what is
not...
Otherwise, the Debian Project could just avoid holding trademark rights
and all this discussion would be moot.

I must confess that now I'm a little puzzled.   :-/

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/nanodocs/etch_workstation_install.html
 Need to read a Debian etch installation walk-through?