Re: Logo trademark license vs. copyright license

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 09:57:33 +0200 Arnoud Engelfriet wrote:

> Francesco Poli wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 21:24:00 +0200 Arnoud Engelfriet wrote:
> > > The sign [X] (hereafter "the Mark") is a trademark, rights to
> > > which are held by [Y], representing [Z] if applicable (hereafter
> > > "the Mark Holder").
> >
> > Wait, the "Mark Holder" would be [Y], I think.
>
> I thought you used Y and Z for cases where Y is licensing Z's
> trademark (if Y is Z's subsidiary or authorized licensee for example).
> Then the trademark holder is Z but Y has certain rights to the mark.

Err, if I read the original message by Nathanael correctly, [Z] is
intended to be the "meaning" of the trademark.
E.g.: in his second example, the wording becomes "representing
endorsement by the Debian Project", where "endorsement by the Debian
Project" is supposed to be [Z], I would say...

> The "if applicable" means if there is a Z. Perhaps the whole Z thing
> should be taken out. "Rights to which are held by Y", and in the
> document where you define Y you can explain that Y is a subsidiary
> of Z or whatever.

I'll try to drop the "if applicable" words and see whether it makes more
sense, in light of the above clarification (again, assuming that I
understood Nathanael intentions correctly!).

> > | If the Mark qualifies as an original work of authorship under
> > | copyright law, then the Mark Holder hereby also grants you a
> > | copyright license, but that is not a trademark license and should
> > | not be construed as one.
>
> That's what I meant.
>
> If you're separating the two, I don't think the word "also" in the
> above is appropriate. I guess in such a case you don't want to say
> more than "there's also a copyright license, go read that one, but
> remember it's not a trademark license."
>
> | If the Mark qualifies as an original work of authorship under
> | copyright law, then the Mark Holder SEPARATELY grants you a
> | copyright license, but that is not a trademark license and should
> | not be construed as one.

Great, I like this!

> That word 'separately' makes it clear that this sentence is merely
> an explanation and not by itself a copyright license.

Exactly what I was looking for.

OK, here we go (again and again!):

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/nanodocs/etch_workstation_install.html
 Need to read a Debian etch installation walk-through?