Re: Non-free IETF RFC/I-Ds in source packages

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 11:49:48 +0200 Simon Josefsson wrote:

> Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> writes:
[...]
> > I don't know whether I'll have enough time to do it personally.
> > Let's do as follows: I see if I can modify the wiki page on Sunday;
> > you look at the wiki page on Monday and, if it's not already
> > updated, you do the changes.
> > OK?
>
> I've updated it, thanks!

You're welcome!  :)

> >> Btw, one variant of the "MIT License" is described at:
> >> http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php
> >
> > That is the Expat license, word for word identical.
>
> I used that link instead of the one above, this one seems more
> authorative.

That seems to be a valid choice[1], taking into account that
<http://www.jclark.com/xml/copying.txt> recently began to refuse
connections on TCP port 80...
We are really beginning to have a problem with vanishing URLs for
widespread non-copyleft licenses.  :-(
I'm more and more convinced that my wishlist bug #284340 is a good
suggestion...  :-|

[1] except for the minor drawback of (mis)leading people to consult the
OSI list of approved licenses, as if it were anything meaningful...  :-(

[...]
> > The fact is that it's *one* of the licenses historically used by
> > MIT. But MIT used many other licenses as well, so referring to it as
> > the "MIT license" is a bit vague.  Moreover the X11 license is also
> > known as the "MIT license" as well; hence the name "MIT license" is
> > an ambiguous label.
> > As already explained, "X11 license" is also vague...
>
> It's a mess, agreed.  I can't think of a better name than "Expat/MIT"
> though, and since the URL is present, the risk of confusion seems
> small.

The clearest and least ambiguous name for that license, is "Expat
license", AFAICT.
It has the only drawback of being less widespread and known than "MIT
license", which, on the other hand, is ambiguous, as already explained.

Using the compound name "Expat/MIT license" or "Expat a.k.a. MIT
license" is, IMHO, the best way to be clear and understandable, while
disambiguating the reference to MIT...

> > P.S.: Please do not Cc: my personal address when replying to the
> > list, as I didn't ask to be copied.  Thanks.
>
> Sorry, I'm reading this list through gmane.org and pressed 'F' in
> Gnus, which apparently ended up being the wrong thing.

Don't worry, nothing serious happened!  :)

> I changed the headers manually this time.

It worked!

--
But it is also tradition that times *must* and always
do change, my friend.   -- from _Coming to America_