Re: Non-free IETF RFC/I-Ds in source packages

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 16:06:25 +0200 Simon Josefsson wrote:

> Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> writes:
[...]
> > Good job!
>
> Thanks, that helps me going. :)

You are welcome...

[...]
> > These considerations lead to the following proposed rephrasing:
> >
> > | If you prefer another widely recognized free license instead, the
> > | following ones are also fine:
> > |  * the 3-clause BSD license
> > |    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/info/BSD_3Clause.html
> > |  * the GNU GPL version 2
> > |    http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl.txt
> > |  * the Expat/MIT license
> > |    http://www.jclark.com/xml/copying.txt
>
> I agree, and please update the wiki page with this.  (I can do it on
> Monday otherwise, when I also intend to file the bug reports.)

I don't know whether I'll have enough time to do it personally.
Let's do as follows: I see if I can modify the wiki page on Sunday; you
look at the wiki page on Monday and, if it's not already updated, you do
the changes.
OK?

> Btw, one variant of the "MIT License" is described at:
> http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php

That is the Expat license, word for word identical.

> As far as I'm aware, there is no canonical organization or similar
> behind the MIT license, so it is difficult to find out whether we are
> using the correct term for the correct license.

The fact is that it's *one* of the licenses historically used by MIT.
But MIT used many other licenses as well, so referring to it as the "MIT
license" is a bit vague.  Moreover the X11 license is also known as the
"MIT license" as well; hence the name "MIT license" is an ambiguous
label.
As already explained, "X11 license" is also vague...

:-(

P.S.: Please do not Cc: my personal address when replying to the list,
as I didn't ask to be copied.  Thanks.

--
But it is also tradition that times *must* and always
do change, my friend.   -- from _Coming to America_