Re: Non-free IETF RFC/I-Ds in source packages

Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org> writes:

> Simon Josefsson wrote:
>> http://wiki.debian.org/NonFreeIETFDocuments
>
> A useful thing to add to that page would be simple instructions on how
> those authoring IETF documents could make them available under a
> DFSG-free licence (presumably in parallel to the IETF one) - perhaps
> some sample boilerplate text to include.

Good idea!

I've added two new sections to the wiki page:

1. Template for license to include in RFCs. [1]

2. Template for e-mail to request additional rights from RFC
authors. [2]

The text is just in draft form, so please review it.  Possibly, we
could use something simpler in [2], or even in [1] too.

/Simon

[1]:

x. Copying conditions

        The author(s) agree to grant third parties the irrevocable
        right to copy, use and distribute the work, with
        or without modification, in any medium, without royalty,
        provided that, unless separate permission is granted,
        redistributed modified works do not contain misleading
        author, version, name of work, or endorsement information.

[2]:

Subject: Requesting additional rights to RFC xxxx

Dear Author,

The Debian GNU/Linux distribution wishes to incorporate the
IETF RFC xxxx as part of its distribution, and to allow
users to develop, modify and evolve the document.

Because the authors of contributions to the IETF standards retain
most intellectual property rights with respect to such contributions
under IETF policies in effect during the development of RFC xxxx, and
because you are an author of said document, the Debian community hereby
requests that you kindly agree to release your contributions in
RFC xxxx under the license below, for inclusion in Debian.

        I agree to grant third parties the irrevocable
        right to copy, use and distribute the work, with
        or without modification, in any medium, without royalty,
        provided that, unless separate permission is granted,
        redistributed modified works:

             (a) do not contain misleading author, version, name
                 of work, or endorsement information, and

             (b) do not claim endorsement of the modified work by
                 the Contributor, or any organization the
                 Contributor belongs to, the Internet Engineering
                 Task Force (IETF), Internet Research Task Force
                 (IRTF), Internet Engineering Steering Group
                 (IESG), Internet Architecture Board (IAB),
                 Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA),
                 Internet Society (ISOC), Request For Comments
                 (RFC) Editor, or any combination or variation of
                 such terms (including without limitation the
                 IETF "4 diamonds" logo), or any terms that are
                 confusingly similar thereto, and

             (c) remove any claims of status as an Internet
                 Standard, including without limitation removing
                 the RFC boilerplate.

        The IETF suggests that any citation or excerpt of
        unmodified text reference the RFC or other document from
        which the text is derived.

To indicate that you agree to these terms, please reply to this e-mail
and quote the license above and indicate that you agree to this.

If you prefer another widely recognized free license instead, such
as the revised BSD license, the GPL, the MIT/X11 license, that
is also fine.

 Sincerely yours,
   Simon Josefsson