Re: Software patents and Debian

<posted & mailed>

Bas Wijnen wrote:

> The question was if that is indeed the way Debian does these things.  And
> in
> particular, people do get sued for using the mpeg4 codec, IIUC.  So does
> that
> mean we would at least consider it non-free?  Or not distributable at all?

Non-distributable.  If people are actually getting sued for using it.
(Well, until and unless one of those people wins their suit by getting the
patent invalidated, of course.)

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@fastmail.fm>

Bush admitted to violating FISA and said he was proud of it.
So why isn't he in prison yet?...