Software patents and Debian

Hello,

When looking for some video-editing software, I found avidemux.  According to
the wnpp bug, there is a problem with license issues regarding the MPEG2/MPEG4
codec.  There is a software patent on this codec, and a paid license is needed
in order to use it, appearantly.

My question is how Debian handles software patents.  I thought we didn't care
about them except if they were actively enforced, because it's completely
impossible to avoid all patented software, considering the junk that gets
patented.  If that is the case, would any of you know if the MPEG[24] codec
patents are actively enforced?  In other words, can this be in Debian?

Thanks,
Bas Wijnen

Ps: Please keep me CCd, I'm not on the list.