Re: Linux Magazin Germany, affecting Debian's image?!

"Henning Makholm" <henning@makholm.net> wrote in message [🔎] 87hd1d8t40.fsf@kreon.lan.henning.makholm.net">news:[🔎] 87hd1d8t40.fsf@kreon.lan.henning.makholm.net...
Scripsit "Robinson Tryon" <bishop.robinson@gmail.com>

My guess is that the lawyers who drafted the GPL knew or believed that
the courts would interpret such a "written offer" like a coupon:  you
have to physically (or electronically, etc...) have a copy of that
particular written offer in order to redeem it for the source code.

In order to _enforce_ the offer legally, one would of course need a
way to prove that it exists. But I am not sure that the vendor can
demand that such proof should take exactly the form of a photocopy of
the original document.

Perhaps the magazine could request a copy of the offer.
That would allow the orignal copy to be sent in (tear out the magazine page),
a photocopy, a handwritten copy, or even a re-typeset copy.

That would clearly be reasonable. I think it would even be acceptable for the magazine
to say photocopy, as long as it acutally accepts any type of copy.