Re: RE : Re: Linux Magazin Germany, affecting Debian's image?!

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 04:31:00PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be> writes:

> >> If I can't trust what I can read on Debian.org,
> >
> > You can still download Debian for free from the Internet. The fact that
> > there is a certain specific DVD release of Debian that you cannot
> > download _in that specific form_ does not change this. Even if you can't
> > download the DVD as an ISO image, you can still download everything it
> > contains from ftp.debian.org and its mirrors.
> >
> > The website does not say "you can download every conceivable version of
> > Debian GNU/Linux for free from the Internet". It says "You can download
> > Debian GNU/Linux for free from the Internet", which should be read as
> > "There are versions of Debian GNU/Linux that can be downloaded for free
> > from the Internet". There is a major difference, and it makes your claim
> > (that everyone who makes a customized version of Debian must make it
> > available for download) false.
>
> On the other hand the GPL, and most packages will be GPLed, requires
> that source be available in one of three ways:
>
> 3a) include source
> 3b) accompany it with a written offer good for 3 years
> 3c) pass through an offer received from upstream
>
> Since Debian gives no written offer for their packages but does 3a the
> option 3c can not be used for anyone building their own debian dvds.

Correct.

> So if one does a custom dvd release of debian one must include source
> or make and keep it available for 3 years. By that reasoning anyone
> distributing only binary images is in breach of the GPL.

Err, no.

If you distribute binary images with a magazine and have something in
that magazine saying "if you want the source write to <address> with a
photocopy of this specific text", everything is okay.

> My recommendation is to ALWAYS have the option of a source image. If
> people don't download/order/pickup the source image along with the
> binary one they have only themself to blame. Option 3a of the GPL
> should be satisfied by that.

True. But that doesn't mean it's the only legal way according to the
GPL.

Moreover, all that is so completely and totally beside the point I was
trying to make that it's funny. The point is that there is nothing wrong
with the mere fact that you cannot download a specific DVD image. After
all, there's nothing wrong with putting the source packages _on_ that
image...

--
Fun will now commence