Re: Linux Magazin Germany, affecting Debian's image?!

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 12:15:48PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 07:51:30AM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 05:04:02PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > > If you distribute binary images with a magazine and have something in
> > > that magazine saying "if you want the source write to <address> with a
> > > photocopy of this specific text", everything is okay.
> >
> > No more so than "if you want the source write to <address>, enclosing a
> > picture of you petting a cat".  Unless, of course, you can show that "a
> > photocopy of this specific text" is a necessary cost of providing the
> > source.
>
> You're only required to provide the source to those who received a
> written promise from you or anyone who passed on the written promise.

3b) Accompany it with a written offer [...] to give any third party, for a
    charge no more than your cost of physically performing source
    distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding
    source code

Sorry, I just don't see how your interpretation comes out of that.  Can you
elaborate further?

- Matt