Re: Tremulous packages

"Francesco Poli" <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote in message [🔎] 20060427225655.746fc174.frx@firenze.linux.it">news:[🔎] 20060427225655.746fc174.frx@firenze.linux.it...

The license you quoted is definitely non-free, because of the many
restrictions it contains: it fails DFSG#1 and DFSG#3, I would say.
You should try contacting the copyright holders (AT&T, Christopher W.
Fraser, and David R. Hanson) and persuading them to relicense lcc in a
DFSG-free manner.

I suspect that this would be virtully impossible as AT&T would probably have difficulty finding the relevent documents, having the corporate lawyers, aprove the relicencing,
and finally reciving offical approval.

If you fail in doing so, you should try to find a DFSG-free replacement
for lcc.

We already have one: gcc. I have not taken a close look at the package
but I suspect it is only using some auxillary tools from lcc.
If this is indeed the case, then a replacemnt for those tools will need to be found. It is entirely possible that debian already contains replacements for these tools.