Re: Tremulous packages

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:03:52 -0400 Joe Smith wrote:

> "Francesco Poli" <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote in message
> [🔎] 20060427225655.746fc174.frx@firenze.linux.it">news:[🔎] 20060427225655.746fc174.frx@firenze.linux.it...
>
> >The license you quoted is definitely non-free, because of the many
> >restrictions it contains: it fails DFSG#1 and DFSG#3, I would say.
> >You should try contacting the copyright holders (AT&T, Christopher W.
> >Fraser, and David R. Hanson) and persuading them to relicense lcc in
> >a DFSG-free manner.
>
> I suspect that this would be virtully impossible as AT&T would
> probably have  difficulty
> finding the relevent documents, having the corporate lawyers, aprove
> the  relicencing,
> and finally reciving offical approval.

Nothing is virtually impossible, as long as people are actually willing
to do it.

OK, leaving high-sounding sentences to fortune(6), what I mean is: if
Heretik succeeds in persuading the involved people, then the paperwork
can be done and a happy ending can follow.

> >If you fail in doing so, you should try to find a DFSG-free
> >replacement for lcc.
>
> We already have one: gcc. I have not taken a close look at the package
> but I suspect it is only using some auxillary tools from lcc.
> If this is indeed the case, then a replacemnt for those tools will
> need to  be found.
> It is entirely possible that debian already contains replacements for
> these  tools.

Since I don't know what are these lcc tools that are used in the
Tremulous build process, I cannot tell if DFSG-free replacements are
already in Debian.
Someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to answer, I hope.

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4