Re: What does "disclaiming a copyright mean"?

On 4/19/06, Seth David Schoen <schoen@loyalty.org> wrote:
> Andrew Donnellan writes:
>
> > Disclaiming a copyright means releasing into the public domain. (as in
> > no copyright at all). IANAL, but looking at what the license file
> > says, I would assume it to be copyrighted by Said Abdeddaim and
> > released under the LGPL, but the parts written by Burkhard Morgenstern
> > are PD.
>
> I disagree.  This paragraph is boilerplate from the GPL (in the section
> on applying the GPL's terms and conditions to your own work).  I believe
> the goal is to have a third party (like an employer) state that it does
> not have a copyright interest in a work, so that other people can rely
> more easily on the licensor's statement that the licensor licenses the
> work under the GPL.

I'll disagree further - Burkhard Morgenstern is a professor at the
University of Gottingen, and he is listed specifically as one of the
authors. If it was an employer disclaiming copyright interest,
wouldn't it be done by an authorised representative of a
company/organisation?

andrew

--
Andrew Donnellan