Re: What does "disclaiming a copyright mean"?

Disclaiming a copyright means releasing into the public domain. (as in
no copyright at all). IANAL, but looking at what the license file
says, I would assume it to be copyrighted by Said Abdeddaim and
released under the LGPL, but the parts written by Burkhard Morgenstern
are PD.

andrew

On 4/19/06, Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> wrote:
> Dear debian-legal subscribers,
>
> As I am not a native speaker, I face difficulty of understanding the
> following sentence:
>
> " Burkhard Morgenstern hereby disclaims all copyright interest in
>     DIALIGN, written by Burkhard Morgenstern and Said Abdeddaim. "
>
> It is from the licence of the dialign program, which you can read here:
>
> http://charles-miroir.plessy.org/debian/dialign-2.1.1/license/LICENSE.TXT
>
> Does in mean that B. Morgenstern abandons his rights to S. Abdeddaim ?
>
> Thank you a lot for your help,
>
> --
> Charles Plessy
> Wako, Saitama, Japon