Re: export to embargo countries

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 03:17:58PM +0400, olive wrote:
> Frank Lenaerts wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have been reading http://www.debian.org/legal/cryptoinmain to find
> >out what it takes to create a product using Debian GNU/Linux as
> >operating system. Pointers to more recent information are welcome.
> >
> >Am I correct that, in order to be able to export a product using
> >Debian GNU/Linux, to countries under US embargo, I would have to
> >remove all encryption related material?
> >
> >If so, what does "remove" mean then? Would I have to rebuild
> >everything without encryption or would it be enough to remove
> >applications like for instance ssh?
> >

> >cu,
> >

> From previous discussions, I don't think *licenses* can prevent you to

Any pointers to previous discussions?

> export to a country under US embargo (such a license would be non free).

I agree.

> US laws might prevent from doing this if you are a US citizen (or live

It think it even goes further i.e. I don't think this is limited to US
citizens. As I understand it, nobody (worldwide) is allowed to export
anything (free software and proprietary software) containing
encryption to the US embargo countries.

> in the US) but this is not the topic of this list. I am not a US citizen
> (nor does I live in the US) but I think that you can't export anything

I think you can as long as it doesn't contain encryption (in this
context). Question is how far you have to go i.e. compile a whole
distro from source without any encryption (Is this possible at all?
That's a lot more work!) or just use an existing distro and limit
functionality (It works and you can reuse more.).

> from the US to a country under US embargo. Of course nothing prevent a
> user living in a country under US embargo to download Debian from a
> non-US mirror.

That's another discussion.

--
frank.lenaerts@siemens.com

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."
-- Henry Spencer