Re: export to embargo countries

Frank Lenaerts wrote:
Hi,

I have been reading http://www.debian.org/legal/cryptoinmain to find
out what it takes to create a product using Debian GNU/Linux as
operating system. Pointers to more recent information are welcome.

Am I correct that, in order to be able to export a product using
Debian GNU/Linux, to countries under US embargo, I would have to
remove all encryption related material?

If so, what does "remove" mean then? Would I have to rebuild
everything without encryption or would it be enough to remove
applications like for instance ssh?

cu,

From previous discussions, I don't think *licenses* can prevent you to export to a country under US embargo (such a license would be non free). US laws might prevent from doing this if you are a US citizen (or live in the US) but this is not the topic of this list. I am not a US citizen (nor does I live in the US) but I think that you can't export anything from the US to a country under US embargo. Of course nothing prevent a user living in a country under US embargo to download Debian from a non-US mirror.

All of this is just my understanding of the current situation, it is not a legal advise (for that you have to consult your lawyer).

Olive