Re: new tool - searching for example

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 15:15:11 +0200 Csillag Kristóf wrote:

> 2006. 04. 3, hétf_ keltezéssel 22.35-kor Anthony DeRobertis ezt írta:
> > > As my master's thesis, I am developing a new Argument Mapping
> > > tool.
> > Cool. Will it become free software?
> As far as it's up to me, yes, of course.
> But since both my employee (MTA Sztaki, a research institute) and my
> university will have a say in the mettet, the situation is not that
> simple.
>
> But eventually, yes, I think I will be able to release it as free
> software somehow. (Providing a freely available argument mapping
> software system has been my goal all along, so I won't give this up.)

This is, IMO, something that should be cleared up *real soon now*.
Believe me, don't wait to clarify:

 - who will hold the copyright for the tool
 - whether you will be allowed to release the tool as free software

If you wait until the tool is mature, there's a non-negligible risk that
you run into troubles and don't manage to actually release it in
DFSG-free manner.

I recommend the following:

 a) choose one (or some) license(s) you would like to release under[1]

 b) clarify who will be the copyright holder (check with the University
    and/or a lawyer in your jurisdiction)

 c) if you will be the sole copyright holder, there should be no
    problems whatever you do with the tool

 d) if instead the University will hold a copyright on the tool, ask
    whether they agree on releasing the tool under the licenses you like
    (if they refuse, try harder and be more persuasive!)

Hope this helps.

[1] debian-legal can help you making clearly DFSG-free choices
    (my suggestions are the GNU GPL v2 or the Expat license)

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4