[OT] Re: Please fix broken MUAs, was: GFDL v2 draft 1 analysis [long]

On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 03:53:25PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel@mamane.lu> wrote:
> > Yeah, sorry about that; I try to remember to use "list-reply" instead
> > of "group-reply" on Debian MLs, but I often forget. This matter would
> > be so much simpler if everyone's MUA would support and set
> > Mail-Followup-To. Alas, this seems not to be happening at any pace
> > where it can happen in my lifetime.
>
> That's probably because Mail-Followup-To is not the solution.

  you're a bit tiredsome with that. List-Post does not helps you to
specify that you want to be set as a Cc: or not when someones answers to
a mail.

  the usual rule on lists I'm on, is that when M-F-T is set, it's what
should be used. Though, when none is set, you should assume the guy who
you are answering to is not subscribed, and politeness ask you to set
the Cc:

  I know the rfc2369, and I can assure you no List-* header can offer an
answer to the previous problem. And that's the sole purpose of the M-F-T
header. Also note that the rfc ask to enable "reply to lists" functions,
and not to force it, and mutt does that as it offers you group-reply
(known as reply-to-all in other softwares) or list-reply.

  The point is Lionel did not used the correct one here. M-F-T is just a
way to fix bad uses of group-replies where a list-reply should be used,
and there is no harm in adding a harmless header that can help a lot of
MUAs. or please strip your signature, it costs many more octets than a
M-F-T.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit