Re: IEEE copyrighted files in vhdl tools

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9?= L. Redrejo =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Rodr=EDguez?= <jredrejo@edu.juntaextremadura.net> wrote:
> > > ############################# -- Copyright 1995 by IEEE. All rights
> > > reserved. -- -- This source file is considered by the IEEE to be an
> > > essential part of the use -- of the standard 1076.3 and as such may
> > > be distributed without change, except -- as permitted by the
> > > standard. This source file may not be sold or distributed -- for
> > > profit. This package may be modified to include additional data=20
> > > required -- by tools, but must in no way change the external
> > > interfaces or simulation -- behaviour of the description. It is
> > > permissible to add comments and/or -- attributes to the package
> > > declarations, but not to change or delete any -- original lines of
> > > the approved package declaration. The package body may be --
> > > changed only in accordance with the terms of clauses 7.1 and 7.2 of
> > >  the -- standard. -- -- Title      : Standard VHDL Synthesis
> > > Package (1076.3, NUMERIC_BIT)
>
> I know, I know, but the remaining question is: can that source tarball
> be uploaded to main in Debian or not?

No, not if the above notice prohibits modification as intended.

Wesley J. Landaker claimed that the header files 'are not copyrightable
as they just declare an interface', but I'm not sure whether that's true.
Please either find a good supportingg reference for that, or ask IEEE for
permission to distribute the header files under the appropriate licence.

Hope that explains,
--
MJR/slef