Re: rocks-n-diamonds

Francesco Poli wrote:
> Wait, wait!

Nah, release often, release soon :P

> The key question here is: does the DFSG-free part *require* the
> non-free part for compilation or use?

Yes.

> In other words: does the DFSG-free game provide *no* significant
> functionality *without* the non-free data installed?

I am afraid so.

> If the answer is yes (that is: the DFSG-free game is useless without
> the non-free data), then it can be included into the contrib archive,
> at best (*not* into Debian main).

Sure.

> The non-free data could be distributed in non-free, to the extent they
> are legally redistributable by Debian.  Otherwise, they must be
> downloadable via script from a server that has actually permission to
> (re)distribute them.

Fantastic. But I don't think it will be needed. It takes a bit to
clarify all the non-free bits, as happened to Tuxtype and Tuxmath, and
many other games, but it is finally sorted out. Not in time for Etch in
this case, I am afraid.

In some cases, the non-free data is even easily replaced with free,
distributable data. We have this problem with the game community and
the people in Debian Games take care of this.

I asked Dmitry to join this team, but we seem to have language problems,
so I would appreciate help from a (wild guess) Russian speaker.

> Disclaimers: IANADD, IANAL.

Disclaimer: I am on very good and strong pain killers, and drooling all
over my keyboard :)

--
  ·''`.             If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution
 : :' :                                            -- Emma Goldman