Re: New bugs filed regarding non-free IETF RFC/I-Ds

> On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 05:49:16PM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>
>> Some of these documents MAY be freely available -- check with the
>> author -- but as far as I could see, in no case was this noted in the
>> copyright file, so I'm assuming they are redistributed based on the
>> IETF license, which I believe we've agreed is DFSG-nonfree.
>
>> Lobbying individual authors to release their documents under a more
>> free license would be a good thing, but I don't have time to pursue
>> that path.  Hopefully some package maintainer will want to pursue
>> it...
>
> This would've been a good suggestion to include in the bug reports
> themselves, which I don't remember seeing to be the case?

That's a good idea.  I just cut'n'paste'd my old bug report about
this, and didn't think more of it.

In some of the recent reports, it seems that the packager did acquire
proper rights to the document (and even noted that in the file itself,
which I missed).  So asking them to consider acquiring further rights
from upstream authors in the bug reports seems indeed like a good idea
indeed.

I'll try to remember to add this to my bug-report template, if I have
another go at this.

Thanks,
Simon