Re: License review request

On Sunday 01 October 2006 01:58, Arnoud Engelfriet wrote:
> Laws like the Uniform Commercial Code do require that disclaimers
> of warranty be "by a writing and conspicuous".
> http://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/2/article2.htm#s2-316

Just a quick chirp from a d-l lurker with a JD that the above is a pretty
common concept in consumer protection type laws and, as referenced, the UCC.
Of course, there is discussion about what is "conspicuous," but it's not
really a very litigated topic.  The key is the text be distinguishable from
the rest of the license.

I did some focus group research for Microsoft a few years back where they were
experimenting with converting their licenses to regular text and using boxes
for "conspicuous" text.  I, and the research group, felt they were pretty
effective.

I think you're pretty stuck with ASCII though...  maybe you could get away
with some fancy ASCII art.

-Sean

--
Sean Kellogg
e: skellogg@u.washington.edu

So, let go
 ...Jump in
  ...Oh well, what you waiting for?
   ...it's all right
    ...'Cause there's beauty in the breakdown