Re: License review request

On 10/1/06, Andrew Donnellan <ajdlinux@gmail.com> wrote:
On 10/1/06, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> What jurisdictions are these?  The only anecdotal explanation I've ever
> heard for capsturbation in warranty disclaimers, at least in the US, is
that
> someone did it once and lawyers live in a monkey-see, monkey-do universe.

I believe someone pointed out some statute or court case in Maryland
or somewhere on d-l around the end of last year (I think it may have
been Alexander Terekhov complaining about the lowercase disclaimer in
GPLv3) that said that it was required.

Just searched and apparently Alexander was complaining about the
lowercase disclaimer but posted a link to some law about lawyers
advertising or something.

Of course that doesn't mean it's not required, just that the evidence
given was irrelevant. I've seen most places do it and lawyers
recommending it and so on, and as it is a legal disclaimer I think it
would be wise to use emphasised text, at least put asterisks around it
or something to draw attention.

--
Andrew Donnellan
http://andrewdonnellan.com