Re: License of cdrkit - GPLv2 + additional restrictions

On 9/14/06, Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> wrote:
* Adam Borowski (kilobyte@angband.pl) [060914 15:55]:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 03:37:11PM +0300, Markus Laire wrote:
> > I'm concerned about the licensing of cdrkit[1,2] aka debburn, which
> > was recently forked from cdrecord.
> >
> > The current license seems to be GPLv2 + additional restrictions which
> > IMHO is not right because GPLv2 doesn't allow any such additional
> > restrictions.
> >
> > An example from libscg/scsi-linux-ata.c[3]:
> > <skip>
> > *   Warning: you may change this source, but if you do that
> > *   you need to change the _scg_version and _scg_auth* string below.
> > *   You may not return "schily" for an SCG_AUTHOR request anymore.
>
> Idea: what about reverting this single file to the last version under real
> GPL (as opposed to GPL-with-unmodifiable-sections)?

It's actually 26 files (according to my latest check):
 cdrecord/cdrecord.c
 librscg/scsi-remote.c
 libscg/scsi-aix.c
 libscg/scsi-amigaos.c
 libscg/scsi-apollo.c
 libscg/scsi-beos.c
 libscg/scsi-bsd.c
 libscg/scsi-bsd-os.c
 libscg/scsihack.c
 libscg/scsi-hpux.c
 libscg/scsi-linux-ata.c
 libscg/scsi-linux-pg.c
 libscg/scsi-linux-sg.c
 libscg/scsi-mac-iokit.c
 libscg/scsi-next.c
 libscg/scsi-openserver.c
 libscg/scsi-osf.c
 libscg/scsi-os2.c
 libscg/scsi-qnx.c
 libscg/scsi-sgi.c
 libscg/scsi-sun.c
 libscg/scsitransp.c
 libscg/scsi-unixware.c
 libscg/scsi-vms.c
 libscg/scsi-wnt.c
 scgcheck/scgcheck.c

This is not GPL-with-unmodifiable-sections, it is just "you need to
document it if you change something". Which seems pretty fair to me, and
I currently don't see the issue with GPL there.

What about the 30-line piece in cdrecord/cdrecord.c which is preceded by text
   /*
    * Warning: you are not allowed to modify or to remove this
    * version checking code!
   */

That is clearly unmodifiable section.

--