Re: License of cdrkit - GPLv2 + additional restrictions

* Adam Borowski (kilobyte@angband.pl) [060914 15:55]:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 03:37:11PM +0300, Markus Laire wrote:
> > I'm concerned about the licensing of cdrkit[1,2] aka debburn, which
> > was recently forked from cdrecord.
> >
> > The current license seems to be GPLv2 + additional restrictions which
> > IMHO is not right because GPLv2 doesn't allow any such additional
> > restrictions.
> >
> > An example from libscg/scsi-linux-ata.c[3]:
> > <skip>
> > *	Warning: you may change this source, but if you do that
> > *	you need to change the _scg_version and _scg_auth* string below.
> > *	You may not return "schily" for an SCG_AUTHOR request anymore.
>
> Idea: what about reverting this single file to the last version under real
> GPL (as opposed to GPL-with-unmodifiable-sections)?

This is not GPL-with-unmodifiable-sections, it is just "you need to
document it if you change something". Which seems pretty fair to me, and
I currently don't see the issue with GPL there.

Cheers,
Andi
--
  http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/