Re: License Licenses (again)....

"Nathanael Nerode" <neroden@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message [🔎] 200604230008.50782.neroden@twcny.rr.com">news:[🔎] 200604230008.50782.neroden@twcny.rr.com...
Javier wrote:
The last proposed licensed I sent is *not* a "new" license. It
is simply this license:
http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-doc-license.html

The Debian Documentation License

Copyright 1997-2006 Software in the Public Interest, Inc. All rights
reserved.

You can't do this.  You just took a copyrighted work (the FreeBSD
Documentation License), put a different organization's copyright notice on
it, stripped off the original copyright notice, and renamed it.

That's copyright infringement. It's also plagarism, because you don't credit
the origin of the work.

License texts may be literary works, subject to copyright, too.  Remember
that.

Dammit, I keep having to bring this topic up.  People seem to have a blind
spot about license licensing.

True, but even laywers have the nasty habit of reusing other licence text without permision, and usually do not attribute at all. It looks to be a tolerated practice, although that does not make
it any less illegal.

Out of curiosity, are you aware of any legal cases involving infringing the copyright of a legalese document?