Re: A new practical problem with invariant sections?

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 11:42:03PM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> I think convenience is something to be considered in determining whether
> something is free or not; a hint, nothing more, but not irrelevant either.
> It's something that can be sacrificed, to a certain degree: the GPL is
> pretty inconvenient at times, but its effects are acceptable.

Yes, and so it will be with the GFDL.  What really matter is whether
_creators_ of free documentation decide that the GFDL is suitable for their
works.  This is what will make or break the GFDL, not whether Debian decides
to distribute works licensed under it.

What is sad is that people seem to be allowing animosity toward a particular
license to cloud their judgement to the point where they'd make a statement
to the effect of "freedom is convenience".

> Practicality is more significant.  If a license makes it *impractical* to
> exercise DFSG freedoms, it's non-free.

Yes, you're right.  However, we need to distinguish between when something
is actually impractical, and when someone is merely pretending it is
impractical because they don't like it.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>