Re: A new practical problem with invariant sections?

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 05:19:32PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:44:51PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >         What if he wants to further distribute the stuff to other
> >  people who are using a device like his? I mean, sharing stuff useful
> >  to me is one of the prime reasons I like free software -- if stuff is
> >  useful, I can share.
>
> why are you obsessing with a convenience issue and pretending that it
> has ANY BEARING AT ALL on freedom issues?  it doesn't.

The text of Aj's proposal does something similar actually;

(2.2) Transparent Copies

The second conflict is related to the GFDL's requirements for
"transparent copies" of documentation (that is, a copy of the
documentation in a form suitable for editing). In particular, Section 3
of the GFDL requires that a transparent copy of the documentation be
included with every opaque copy distributed, or that a transparent copy
is made available for a year after the opaque copies are no longer being
distributed.

For free software works, Debian expects that simply providing the source
(or transparent copy) alongside derivative works will be sufficient, but
this does not satisfy either clause of the GFDL's requirements.

That Debian "expects that simply providing the source alongside ..."
does not appear to make this non-free. It might make be inconvenient for
us and/or require us to change the ftp-master scripts, but that doesn't
seem to affect its freeness.

Hamish