Re: GPLv3 Drafting Process

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006, MJ Ray wrote:
> Benj. Mako Hill <mako@debian.org>
> How many hoop-jumps must it have before we can agree that the
> process has accessibility problems?

If you're having problems accessing the site, contact
webmaster@gplv3.fsf.org. If it's a serious problem and the FSF isn't
responding, you can e-mail me, and I'll input your comments for you.

> > There are sets of committees whose job it is to collect,
> > summarize, comment on and present these comments to the FSF with
> > recommendations of how to proceed. When these people want to track
> > comments made or or make them theirselves, they use the publicly
> > available mechanisms to do so.
>
> There were still a lot of open questions about how that will work
> when I last tried to find out.

That's because how this will work is basically up to the committees
themselves.

> > AFAIK, the Debian project is more fully represented on these
> > committees than any single other project, company, or organization
> > other than the FSF.
>
> The Debian project can make a big contribution to opening the
> process. I thank you for making committee D's proceedings public,

Thanks really go to the people in the committee who agreed with them
being publicly available.

> but I'm disappointed that Don and yourself are on the same
> committee.

Technically, Mako and I aren't there to represent Debian specifically;
we're there because we are... something or other. Branden Robinson and
Greg Pomerantz are "officially" representing Debian.

> I have only heard about these recently and few specifics yet. It's a
> welcome development, but please keep encouraging it.

AFAICT, they basically haven't had enough time to organize them yet. I
imagine that if people who were really interested in having the circus
visit their locale would step up and offer to help organize it, the
FSF would employ them appropriately.

Don Armstrong

--
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing
that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot