Re: Re: Affero General Public License

(Kai Hendry)
> > > I thought I should just check with you guys if the license is OK for
> > > Debian.

(Steve Langasek)
> > No, it is not.  The requirement of source redistribution to third
> > parties that you are not distributing binaries to is incompatible with
> > the DFSG.

(Benj. Mako Hill)
> I don't think that issue is a closed one.

We are, however, certain that the Affero version is non-free.  It is non-free
because it imposes restrictions on modifying the program.  It requires that
the *program* contain facilities to send source to users.  That is
*definitely* not compatible with the DFSG (and is practically extremely
annoying and obnoxious), even if some alternate clause requiring source
distribution (such as I suggested to the FSF) might be.

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@twcny.rr.com>

"(Instead, we front-load the flamewars and grudges in
the interest of efficiency.)" --Steve Lanagasek,