Re: Distriution of GPL incompatible libraries

On 2/4/06, bug1@iinet.net.au <bug1@iinet.net.au> wrote:
[...]
> I hope i have it right this time...

In the GNU Republic you'll end up in jail.

----
One of the questions with the GPL is about how tightly you may link
GPL code with non-GPL code, for example, when you compile a GPL
program and it uses other code in a software library. Have you done
anything to define how tightly GPL code may be linked with non-GPL
code? Under what circumstances is that permitted and not permitted?
----

Bloby Eben:

"We have made one clarification, as we see it, of what we believe was
always the rule. We reasserted that code dynamically linked to GPL
code--which the GPL code is intended to require, not merely optionally
incorporate--is part of the source code of the work under the GPL and
must be released."

and (in another interview)

"The language or programming paradigm in use doesn't determine the
rules of compliance, nor does whether the GPL'd code has been
modified.  The situation is no different than the one where your code
depends on static or dynamic linking of a GPL'd library, say GNU
readline. Your  code, in order to operate, must be combined with the
GPL'd code,  forming a new combined work, which under GPL section 2
(b) must be distributed under the terms of the GPL and only the GPL."

IBM: (Tenth Defense)

SCO's claims are barred by the doctrine of copyright misuse.

s/SCO/FSF

regards,
alexander.